Your support will help restore hope for individuals, children and families – to believe that it is possible to end the abuse and to heal and feel safe. Give today.
We can't do it without you.
- Approximately 60% of the funding for The Center for Family Safety and Healing comes from individual and community donors.
- State funding supports about one-third of a medical assessment.
We are unique among other centers throughout the country.
- The Center for Family Safety and Healing offers assessment, treatment, prevention, research and advocacy all under the same roof.
- The Center for Family Safety and Healing combines the resources of our partner organizations, bringing together CHOICES for Victims of Domestic Violence, Columbus Division of Police Special Victims Bureau, Franklin County Children Services, Franklin County Prosecutor's Office and Nationwide Children's Behavioral Health Services. Before we opened our doors in 2005 as The Center for Child and Family Advocacy, a child might have to tell his/her story to multiple people at multiple locations; now the number of times a comprehensive story must be told has been reduced and can take place in one location.
We can't underestimate the problem.
- Five children die each day from abuse and neglect in the U.S.
- In Ohio, a child is abused or neglected every 10 minutes
- One out of every five children will be sexually assaulted before they reach the age of 18
- Child abuse and neglect is 15 times more likely to occur in families where domestic violence exists
- 45% of victims we treat are under the age of 7
- 60% of child abuse and neglect cases show a prior history of domestic violence
We are working to meet the demand. In 2013 we provided:
- Over 1,268 child assessments through the Child Assessment Center
- Services to patients from over 35 counties across central Ohio
- Over 576 visits from children and adolescents in out-of-home care through the Fostering Connections Program
- Home visits to over 470 families through the Help Me Grow and Nurse-Family Partnership programs
- Therapy and support for more than 2,000 children and family members through the Nationwide Children's Behavioral Health Services
- Training for over 86 community organizations and businesses
Our children and families say it best:
- "The counseling helped me because when I was raped no one was there for me and when it happened to my baby girl I made sure there was help for her." – parent
- "I had a chance to finally express my feelings without someone judging me." – 13-year-old female
- "I just loved this program. It has been so valuable for my daughter and me. I felt like I could really open up and discuss things causing stress. I just couldn't be happier for how well my daughter has come around."– parent
- "This program helped me see that I made the right choices. It helped me see I am not alone. I learned it's okay to talk about what happened." – parent
- "You have been great for me and my child. Thank you for providing a safe place to talk." – parent
The Center for Family Safety and Healing Wish List
You can also help by donating new items to help us care for families in crisis.
- Diapers (all sizes)
- Stress balls or other stress-relieving, hand-held items
- Baby Sign Language DVDs and flashcards
- Journals (for children or teens)
- Plastic storage bins/tubs (of all sizes)
- Infant Measuring Mats (with a printed-on ruler to measure the height of infants too young to stand)
- Gift cards for gas, or to local retail or grocery stores
- Developmental toys
- Stuffed animals
- Plastic toys for kitchen sets, trains, blocks, etc.
- Letter and number toys and puzzles
- Legos (large and small)
- Wooden Puzzles
- Activity books for toddlers
- Hardcover books for infants and toddlers
- My Body Belongs to Me from the Channing Bete Company in English (product number 58428) and Spanish (product number 58460) from www.channing-bete.com
- Understanding Children's Sexual Behaviors: What's Natural and Healthy in English and Spanish from www.tcavjohn.com
- My Body My Self for Boys by Lynda Madaras and Area Madaras
- My Body My Self for Girls by Lynda Madaras and Area Madaras
Drop-off instructions: Please call (614) 722-8200 and speak with the assistant to arrange a drop-off time at the facility.